Activities get the children talking, counting, identifying colours, imitating animals etc.
Instructors engage with the children in 30 minute sessions on Monday and Wednesdays challenging them to overcome physical obstacles, climb, tumble, balance and swing.
The goal is coordinated, yet independent play, there is no grading, no performance standards required – the primary objective is for the children to have fun.
- Count out punches, kicks, knees and elbows.
- Recover coloured objects dispersed around the dojo
- Duck, dodge, jump and catch
- Run forwards, backward and sidestep
- Negotiate obstacle courses.
A normal session involves:
- 5 minute warm-up.
- 15 minutes of obstacle course negotiation
- 5 minutes of co-ordinated games
- 5 minute debrief where the children are encouraged to describe the activities in their own words.
Parents are welcome to join their children on the mats (especially initially when they can be a bit nervous), cheer them on from the sidelines, or take half an hour to unwind with the other parents, knowing their little ones will be heading home ready for dinner bath and bed.
What we like to see our Mini MMA kids (3-6yrs) do in a class